ONLY FOR UEFI GPT BOOT DISKS!
I cloned a Surface Pro 1st gen hdd to a USB drive to transfer to a Surface Book and Windows would not boot. I tried the following commands to repair the boot partition:
bootrec /fixmbr (this completed sucessfully)
bootrec /fixboot (This said Access Denied)
bootrec /rebuildbcd (this said Element not found)
What I finally did that worked was this:
- list disk
- select disk 0
- list partition
- select partition 1 (your system partition)
- detail partition (EFI partition ID is C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B)
- delete partition override
- create partition efi size=100 (Change the size to fit)
- create partition msr size=128 (Change the size to fit)
After doing that process I ran the bootrec commands from the first part of this post and all completed successfully. Windows now boots.